Wednesday 7 March 2012

Playland Comes of Age

I have never really liked amusement parks, fairs, or any similar such places. In some ways it is weird because I love rides, greasy food,  people watching and games... so really I should be stoked to be there. I kind of feel like a party pooper for not being into it as it seems like everyone else is, but I just cannot get excited about it.

Looking back, I did spend a fair bit of time as a kid at such places, weirded out by the people running the rides, wandering aimlessly in an attempt to meet girls (which never happened) and getting bullied by older kids. In fact I remember one roller coaster ride where the guys in front of us that were several years older spent the whole ride spitting in the air so that it would fly back and hit us in the face. We were locked in so we couldn't move... like adolescent water boarding. It was horrible.

So admittedly, maybe I have a negative association.

This past summer I went to the fair with my nieces.. and I took my camera. What was always a place to  avoid instead became a treat: The odd collection of people became incredible lens fodder. Plus I'm married so I don't need to cruise for girls and I am much bigger than most teenagers so they left me alone. My world has come full circle...











3 comments:

  1. Last time I was at a fair I saw a line outside the Gravitron. Someone had crapped their pants on the ride and they were waiting for the carny cleaning it up with a mop and bucket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first childhood memory is going to the Wagga Wagga show/fair. This father was in the dodgem cars with his son and was getting smashed by another car. When the ride stopped. He jumped out of the car, gave his kid to his wife. Searched after the guy who was driving the other car and started beating the shit out of him. Kicking him in the dirt. Wagga was pretty rough in the 80's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DavidMauriceSmith13 March 2012 at 13:11

    You have both just validated all of the feelings I had/have about theme parks/fairs etc...

    ReplyDelete