Wednesday 25 January 2012


Elizabeth

I went through all my negatives in early 2009 and collected all the photograph I could find of Elizabeth. There were so many. One evening I began to scan through them with the idea that I might have a show focussing on us, our relationship. I still have all the negatives bundled separately. After 8 hours of scanning, I had only got through about 1/8 of the pile.... I never revisited the idea. Its been three years since then and I have no doubt collected many more images of her.

Photography has always been a struggle for me. I often find myself half living and have gone through stages when I have not even picked up a camera because I didn't have the ability to place it down. Its all a blurry thing to someone who has obsessive compulsive tendencies. A conundrum... Photography seems to have attached to it a sense of wanting. At times I feel like it actually chokes life but then it also seems to enrich it.

I find Elizabeth to be the most intriguing character, her mind, her physicality, her passion for art and life. I know I am fortunate to share time here with her.  I look at these images and they have a certain sentimental quality to me. I don't know if they are good photographs. They are just apart of the landscape of my life. Its like they are stitched onto me or something.










1 comment:

  1. These are stunning Josh. I can't believe they have been stash away since 2009. My personally favourite is Elizabeth standing on the street with a rainbow. That light on the right just completes it. It echos the rainbow and is like a strange height gauge for Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete