Tuesday 24 January 2012

"Our approach to photography is completely different."

Met with Garry Trinh yesterday to catch up and have a chat about our new collaboration. After sipping on some Turkish tea, we headed out for a walk around Auburn, chatting, with cameras in hand pausing occasionally mid sentence as we anticipated a scene. *click* *wind to next frame* ... pause... *click* "Why did you take my picture?" comes the confrontational question. A common occurrence for me in Auburn so I'm armed, my spiel loaded and fired in retaliation. Accompanied with a smile (always), I explain my project and assure them to trust my use of the photographs and quickly move on already surveying the area for another photograph.


We continue walking and it isn't too long after 2 or 3 consecutive explanations that Gary turns and says, "You know what I realised. Our approach to photography is completely different." 


At the beginning, I was the same, a quick snap on the run, a smile and quickly moving on. Most days I wish it was like that, "staying in the zone" cruising around. But then I started seeing the same people every time I headed out for a walk around Auburn. I started to build friendships with the shop keepers, sitting on corners or walking along the same road day after day. The same group of Sudanese men at the intersection of Queen St, the old Turkish women sipping on tea, the Afghan men holding their prayer beads chatting, the Somalis drinking coffee or the Iraqi's hanging outside the barber shop. Surely they deserve an explanation, right? I quickly became that guy who works for the newspaper, always taking photos. 


Reactions for the most part have changed, greeted by a smile and a wave by the shopkeepers and regulars. Not the reaction I want for a photo but still better than a scowl or a trip to the police station (only happened once). Slowly people learn to ignore me but the dynamic is constantly changing. With a huge influx of newly arrived refugees filling the streets, no matter the reaction, I'll keep on smiling and taking their picture. 





4 comments:

  1. Nice work George and great that you're doing a project that crying out to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice shots George. I can't wait to see more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chrissie Ianssen25 January 2012 at 12:58

    How exciting to see you two walking together. Looking forward to more more more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Andrew. Keep telling that story. You are representing the community in such a beautiful way. With clarity. I can imaging an exhibition with your work and Andrew's pictures around Cronulla. That would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete