Tuesday 14 February 2012

Dogs at Mardi Gras

I attended the launch of the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras over the weekend. One of the things that surprised me was the amount dogs gay and lesbian couples owned. Not just one dog, often they were the parents of two or more dogs of the same breed. Compensation for not having children?

One lady demanded that I ask her for permission before photographing her dogs.When I enquired further she explain that her dogs were an expensive breed and she was afraid I could be a dog snatcher ready to take her kids away. Since when have dog snatchers carried around expensive cameras and photographed dogs before taking them? Have we reached a new level of paranoia?















2 comments:

  1. Interesting that people are reaching another level of paranoia from the awareness of where a photograph could end up and how it could be misused, interpreted, irrespective of the photographers' intentions.

    Years ago I was assisting a photographer on a shoot for the Australia Army in Townsville - at the end of the day after going back to the hotel and cleaning up - I would go for a walk photographing. In the morning when I met the photographer and the art director in the lobby...
    they laughed and showed me the headline of the local paper. The article was about "suspicious foreigners photographing public infrastructure" around town. This was shortly after september 11 and the paranoia of be alert not alarmed. Prior to september 11 the headline would've been "tourists takes photo of landmarks".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee got called a "Waster" by some 90yo Woollahra lady for photographing a dog that wasn't even hers.
    I think it's still going on HoodCats :)

    ReplyDelete