Monday 6 February 2012

























I was watching a French film on the weekend called Pierrot le fou or Crazy Pete by Jean-Luc Godard. It was made in 1965. The film wasn't very cohesive or very good but there was one scene in the movie that really struck me and I had to pause the DVD to capture the moment. Aren't those trees in the background the same set of trees as the ones in Henri Cartier-Bresson's famous photograph, "Brie, France, June 1968"? No one watching the movie with me was very impressed.

When I began studying photography at university, one of my lecturers had Cartier-Bresson's Brie picture framed in his office. I had a meeting in his office once and asked innocently if the picture he had was a photographic print. He just rolled his eyes and gave me the expression that told me I had no idea who that photo was by or how expensive that picture would be if it was a genuine photographic print. He wasn't very impressed either.

No comments:

Post a Comment