Friday 17 February 2012


A Killer Whale's Jaw

When I was living on a small island in Canada and working as a dish pig, I read a book called the artists way... It was more like a short course in how to break your mind in half.... The kinds of things it was trying to teach was to release yourself from the social expectations and let creativity and the process of it take over. The book proposes that creativity is God... (don't be afraid of the God word). One of the main lessons in the book was to stop being critical of yourself... Something I have never learned how to do yet. Ha! Apart of the books process was that you had to wake up every morning and write anything that came to your head for 1/2 an hour. 

On the morning I took this photo I woke up and wrote a short story named 'A killer whale's jaw'. It was a 'Orwellian' influenced story and its focus was on the killer whale and its relationship with the seal during feeding hours. In my mind the killer whale in the story was a metaphor for huge corporations and government, the seal on the other hand was a metaphor for individuals within society. The night before I had watched this youtube clip where a killer whale comes out of a deep ocean slides up onto the beach packed full with lethargic sun tanning seals and with its massive jaw just eats one of the seals. All the other seals just turn their heads slightly away from the scene and seem to forget about that moment as soon as it happens. In the story I was trying to describe fear... I guess I had a fear of become the sacrificed seal, of being eaten by society... But now I know i am just so happy to be one of those lethargic sun tanning seals that turn their head slightly. I do it everyday... I read the world section of the news paper... Then I go about my day.

So I put my pen down and I walk out side my apartment and right in front of the house was this huge inflatable plastic killer whale... I thought God was playing a trick on me and I didn't even believe in God, so I grabbed my camera and ran after it ducking through the streets of Prince Edward Island looking for a good shot. I was never really happy with the shots I got. I wanted it to be more epic or something... There a few ok ones... Here is one.



1 comment:

  1. Great story. I like this imagine even more because of it.

    ReplyDelete